The 4th of July is like Thanksgiving in July, but with different foods. You know what I mean, right?
This coming weekend is BBQ weekend here in America. Almost everyone will be hosting one or going to one. There will likely be loads of fattening food choices for you to choose from. Everything from barbecued meats to baked beans to potato and pasta salads. You will pig out, you will feel sick, you’ll swear that you’ll never want to eat again, and then before you know it you are going for second and third helping. Sound familiar to Thanksgiving dinner? Instead of eating turkey and heavy side dishes, you’ll be reaching for a burger and five different cold salads full of mayonnaise.
This salad is a nod to the classic Italian pasta salad and I thought it was perfect to share as we head into BBQ feast weekend. There are a bazillion pasta salad recipes out there. Your mom has one, you have a slightly different one, and Pinterest has hundreds. These are total crowd pleasers because there are so many varieties and everyone is bound to like at least one of them.
I decided to skip the pasta and use quinoa instead. (I still love you, pasta.) I thought it would be different and make the salad more interesting. Or different at least. I was right. 😉
You can really use whatever veggies you want in this quinoa salad because pretty much anything will taste great with quinoa and Italian dressing. I took all of the vibrant colored veggies that I had in my fridge and piled them on. If you have some broccoli? Go for it. Asparagus? Why not. (Besides the obvious reason that doesn’t happen until later.) Peppers? Totally on board with that too. I think you get the point. 😉
Salads can be fun to make. You unceremoniously throw some ingredients into a big bowl, stir, and boom, you’ve got dish. That’s how this salad rolls and it’s one of the reasons why I love it. No muss, no fuss.
Are you hosting a BBQ? Going to one? What will you be eating? My husband and I are going to a family BBQ on Saturday. Sounds like the star of the show will be ribs and I’m super excited.
I guess I better make another batch of this quinoa salad to bring over! Or maybe I’ll bring some Fudgy Brownies because brownies are the best BBQ dessert dish ever! Oh, oh, or maybe my Corn Guacamole! Decisions, decisions!
Quinoa Salad Recipe
(About 4 servings)
Ingredients for the Italian Vinaigrette Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
Ingredients for the Salad:
- 1 cup quinoa, dry
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 15 to 20 grape tomatoes, chopped in half (I used orange and red.)
- 1/8 cup chopped green onions
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions for the Italian Vinaigrette Dressing:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, oil, minced garlic, and Italian seasoning.
Directions for the Salad:
- Prepare the quinoa according to the directions on the package using the water or broth.
- In a big bowl, mix together the cooked quinoa, chopped green and red bell peppers, chopped grape tomatoes, and chopped green onions.
- Pour the Italian Vinaigrette Dressing on top of the salad.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste.
Source: Tina’s Chic Corner
Here are some other bangin’ BBQ salad ideas.