I’ve been on a salad kick lately.
Maybe I’ve trained my brain to crave salads since I’ve been trying to eat healthier this year. Hmm, that’s probably wishful thinking on my part. After all, we’re only 48 days into the year (not that I’m counting). I’m sure I’ll go back to my normal pizza and bagel cravings in no time. In the mean time, I’m cashing in on the fact that I would actually prefer to eat vegetables. (Who am I?)
These chickpeas totally make this salad. I love chickpeas but they are on a whole other level when you roast them with spices traditionally found in falafels. Somehow they magically harden and turn into a fun crunchy snack. I kept eating them while I was prepping the salad and dressing. Next time I make them I might just skip the lettuce deal. 😉
Even though it’s the middle of February and we just had a weekend of well below zero temperatures, I’m totally cool with jumping into fresh veggie season (aka Spring). Although I sort of feel bad that I have not made one new hot soup for you guys. The truth is that I haven’t been in the mood for them like I was during the past couple of winters. If you’re looking for a good soup recipe then I absolutely recommend pasta fagioli soup. It’s been my #1 post every year and rightly so because it’s dang good. 🙂
Falafel-Spiced Roasted Chickpea Salad Recipe
(about 2 servings)
Ingredients for the Falafel-Spiced Roasted Chickpeas:
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (I used smoked paprika.)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for the Lemon Dressing:
- 1 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for the Salad:
- lettuce (I used Romaine lettuce.)
- tomatoes, cut into wedges or cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- few slices of thinly sliced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Falafel-Spiced Roasted Chickpeas
- Lemon Dressing
Directions for the Falafel-Spiced Roasted Chickpeas:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas, then gently dry them with paper towels to remove all of the moisture.
- In a medium bowl, add the chickpeas, oil, cumin, coriander, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and salt and mix everything together so that all of the chickpeas are well coated with the seasoning.
- Spread the chickpeas onto a baking sheet, in a single layer.
- Bake the chickpeas for 30 to 40 minutes or until they are golden and crispy. Toss them a couple of times during the cooking process.
- Allow the chickpeas to cool prior to serving. Do not cover them or they will turn soft and weird. I also recommend eating them the day you make them because the toasty oven treatment will fade with time and the chickpeas will soften even if you don’t cover them.
Directions for the Lemon Dressing:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, pepper, and salt.
Directions for the Salad:
- For each serving, arrange the lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, and falafel-spiced roasted chickpeas on a plate.
- Pour about half the lemon dressing on top.
- Sprinkle some sesame seeds on top.
Adapted from: An edible mosaic
Here are some other sensational salads.
I looooove chickpeas! And falafel! And romaine! Oh, this salad is so perfect in so many levels!
Thank you so much, my friend!! 🙂
I love chick peas. This looks yummy.