The age old question this time of the year, are you a pumpkin or apple food person?
Pumpkin pie, apple cake, pumpkin cookies, apple pie… there are so many delicious goodies and so little time. I love them all. I will say that I’ve never found an apple muffin that rocked my world, but I do love pumpkin muffins. I’ve made a variety of pumpkin muffins over the years but this is the first time I’ve made whole wheat pumpkin muffins. I’ve never made whole wheat muffins of any flavor actually, so I thought I’d try something different.
Whole wheat flour has the benefit of offering more nutrients than white flour. More nutrients is better. Whole wheat flour also tends to change the texture and taste of something, and not often for the better. You can literally see the whole wheatiness because it’s so brown. In this case, the pumpkin and spices actually play off the earthiness very nicely.
I was pleasantly surprised that these pumpkin muffins are moist. Whole wheat flour also tends to dry things out since there is more “material” to steal moisture from things. These might be a tad more dense than if I had used white flour, but they are so moist that it didn’t matter to me.
I love that these muffins are mini-sized because anything in miniature form is instantly cute. And of course I’m obsessed with the fact that these muffins have chocolate in them, miniature chocolate chips to be exact because that’s the only way to go for mini muffins. #chocoholic
It’s fun trying something that I don’t normally work with and I do recommend giving these whole wheat pumpkin muffins a try. They are delicious and I would make them again. If you’re skeptical about using whole wheat flour (or don’t feel like buying it), then I honestly don’t blame you because I feel the same way most of the time.
If you prefer using white flour in a pumpkin muffin, then I highly recommend these pumpkin doughnut holes from a few years ago. They are one of my favorites. You can easily convert them into mini muffins (I have used a mini muffin pan for doughnut hole like things more than once, so I know it works).
Whole Wheat Mini Pumpkin Muffins Recipe
(makes about 30 miniature sized muffins)
- 1 and 3/4 cups whole wheat flour (equivalent to 7.9 oz)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (I used light brown sugar.)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/3 cup butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup milk (I used 2%.)
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a mini muffin pan and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice. Set aside these dry ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, brown sugar, pumpkin puree, melted butter, vanilla extract, and milk. These are the wet ingredients.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and mix everything together until it’s just combined.
- Stir in the mini chocolate chips.
- Fill each mini muffin tin about 3/4 to all the way full.
- Bake them in the preheated oven for 12 to 14 minutes. Mine took 12 minutes.
- Let them cool slightly and then remove them from the pan.
Source: Sally’s Baking Addiction