If you’re new to my blog, then please meet my tried and true and best ever fudgy brownies. I shared the recipe for the basic fudgy brownies back in 2013 and it’s on my short list of best ever recipes. If you’re not new around here and have heard about them, then hang on tight, I’ve got a fun new twist on them today.
I’ve been making the original fudgy brownie recipe for the past 15 years. I don’t even remember how many times I’ve made them (that many). I’ve been obsessed with them since the first time that I made them and I still am (for all the reasons I listed in the original post, which I won’t bore you with again). I cannot imagine finding a better brownie recipe… ever.
If you’re interested in a basic brownie recipe, then I’ve done my job reminding you about the original recipe. I still adore as originally written. If you’re looking to have a little fun with them, then add some Oreo cookies or M&Ms. Today’s inspiration is from my oldest nephew, who is 11 years old. He loves M&Ms and my M&M cookies are his favorite thing of all time. So I thought why not add M&Ms to something else and brownies were the first thing that came to my mind.
It’s not anything revolutionary. I’m sure there are a bazillion things that one could add to a brownie mix. I went with more chocolate. Not that it needs it, but more is better, right?
Fair warning, these brownies are uber fudgy, chocolaty and oh so heavenly sweet. When you see how much butter and sugar you need for this recipe, try not to freak out. These are not healthy by any means. (My husband points out that they are brownies and no one is likely to imagine them as health food.)
These brownies are very rich, so you can get a lot of bars out of this recipe. My husband cuts way straighter than me so he’s my resident cutter and he cut 24 bars from the 9 x 13 pan. Notice that I didn’t say 24 servings though. 😉 If you have any leftovers, you can freeze them in a freezer friendly bag. I’ve done so many times and they freeze well and come back like new.
Also, as another heads up, there will be some M&M casualties when you cut into the brownies. There are no perfect lines here because theses brownies have a thin layer of chocolate crust on top, which is one of the countless signs for a perfect brownie. Don’t worry, this is all part of the charm. (And by “don’t worry,” I’m really talking to the perfectionists out there. Okay, fine, I’m talking to myself.) 😉
M&M Fudgy Brownies Recipe
(About 24 servings)
- 1 cup butter, melted (equivalent to 2 sticks)
- 3 cups white sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (equivalent to 6.3 ounces)
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup M&Ms candies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9 x 13 baking pan and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the melted butter, sugar, and vanilla extract together.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Set the wet ingredients aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt.
- Gradually stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spread the brownie batter evenly in the greased baking pan.
- Sprinkle the M&Ms on top of the batter.
- Bake it in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. (It took 35 minutes in my oven.)
- Allow it to cool before cutting.
Adapted from: All Recipes