This is the time of the year when my refrigerator is full of cookie ingredients. That sounds great until I go to make dinner and realize that I only have butter and eggs to work with. Womp, womp.
I always make at least one chocolate cookie every Christmas because I love chocolate and most other people do too.
I’ve made double chocolate chunk cookies and peppermint chip chocolate cookies, which have the same base chocolate cookie recipe. It’s a great cookie base because it’s delicious and versatile. This year I decided to use that cookie base again and add festive M&M candies. More chocolate is better. 😉
These cookies are like little pieces of brownies shaped like cookies. They are soft and fudgy, and the M&Ms add a nice crunch to every bite.
If you’re looking for a quick cookie to whip up this holiday season, then this is it. There’s no chilling time. You bake them as soon as you’re done making the cookie dough. Scoop out the dough into balls and bam, they’re ready for the oven.
I think M&M cookies are a classic at any time of the year. Just swap out theses red and green ones for another seasonal color or the traditional colored ones. They also work with practically any cookie that uses chocolate chips. Just swap out chips for M&Ms and it’s like a whole new cookie. (And I’m not being paid to say that, I just really like them.)
I’m obsessed with these cookies. Not only do they get me into the holiday spirit, but they really are super delicious. They are the perfect size for a holiday cookie platter, but next time I think that I need to make them bigger because these are little and one big cookie almost always sounds better than three small ones. 😉
Chocolate M&M Cookies Recipe
(Make about 36 cookies)
- 2 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (equivalent to 10.7 ounces)
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cup butter, softened (equivalent to 2 sticks)
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 and 3/4 cups M&Ms
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lay parchment paper or a silicon mat on top of a cookie sheet and set it aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set the dry ingredients aside.
- In a big bowl, cream the butter, white sugar, dark brown sugar, and vanilla extract.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Gradually beat in the dry ingredients.
- Stir in the M&Ms.
- Scoop about 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of cookie dough per cookie, roll it, and then place it onto the prepared cookie sheet. I used Oxo Good Grips Medium Cookie Scoop to help consistently scoop out the same amount of dough per cookie.
- Bake them for 9 to 11 minutes or until the cookies are puffed and the centers are set but still soft. (See note below.)
- Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Adapted: Very Best Baking
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.