Good bye salad season and hello comfort fatty food season. If I put spinach and feta on a pizza does that make it healthier? It’s kind of like a salad spread out all over a comfort food.
Football season kicked off last weekend I wanted some pizza to mark the occasion. Usually I prefer a cheese or pepperoni pizza, but I opted for a sauce-less pizza this time. I’ve made this spinach and feta mixture a few times and we love it. I’ve used this stuff as a filling in quesadillas and as a side dish with spaghetti squash and a variety of dinners. I thought it would be a great pizza topping and I was right. This spinach stuff is so delicious that it falls into that rare group of things my husband likes to say could be spread on a shoe and would still be tasty. Please don’t try that.
If you have the time and patience for making homemade pizza dough, then go for it. I used store bought naan bread for these individual sized pizzas because I wanted something quick. My husband still wanted some sauce for his pizza so I added some on the side. He says sauce is nice to have whether it’s on the pizza or just next to it. To each their own.
Spinach and Feta Naan Pizza Recipe
(Makes 2 servings)
- 1/2 tablespoon of oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 10 ounces spinach (I used thawed frozen spinach.)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill
- 2 ounces of cream cheese or Neufchatel cheese
- 3 ounces feta cheese, chopped
- 2 slices of naan (I used Stonefire roasted garlic naan.)
- about 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a skillet, over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the chopped onions and cook them until they are tender.
- Add in the spinach, salt, pepper, parsley, and dill, and mix everything together. If you use frozen spinach, then cook it until the water from the spinach has evaporated. If you use fresh spinach, then cook it until the spinach has wilted.
- Turn the heat down to low, add the cream cheese, and stir it until it’s combined.
- Add in the feta cheese and stir everything together.
- Remove the spinach mixture from the heat. Your feta should still be solid bits instead of melted.
- Lay the 2 pieces of naan on a cookie sheet.
- Evenly spread out the spinach mixture on top of each naan.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top.
- Cook them in the preheated oven for about 12 minutes or until the cheese is melted to your liking.
Source: Tina’s Chic Corner