I love my two nephews dearly. One is almost five years old and his brother (also my godson) is two and a half years old. It’s only fitting that my two sweeties love sweets, especially chocolate and more specifically M&Ms. I had them in mind when I created these Triple Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats. 🙂
These snap, crackle, and pop treats are packed with sweet chocolate in every bite because of the three kinds of chocolate in it, the Cocoa Rice Krispies, mini chocolate chips, and mini M&Ms.
Tripe Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats Recipe
(Makes 15 servings)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (equivalent to about 10 ounces) marshmallows
- 6 cups Kellogg’s Cocoa Krispies cereal
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup mini M&Ms
- Line a 9 x 13 baking pan with tin foil and spray it with cooking spray. Set it aside.
- In a large bowl, place the butter and marshmallows and microwave for about 1 minute, stirring every 30 seconds, until they are melted.
Note: At this point work quickly because the melted marshmallow and butter mixture cools fast. The softer the mixture, the easier each step is.
- Add in the Cocoa Krispies cereal into the marshmallow mixture and stir until combined.
- Stir in the mini chocolate chips.
- Scoop the mixture into the greased baking pan. Spray your hands with cooking spray and press the mixture evenly in the pan with the back of a measuring cup (which you should also cover with cooking spray).
- Sprinkle the mini M&Ms over the mixture and press them gently.
- Let the treats cool before cutting into it (about two hours, depending on how warm your room is).
Store in an air tight container at room temperature.
I don’t think I need to explain how to make these classic treats, do I? 😉 Everyone I know has made them at some point. As a tip, I did cut the butter into cubes in order for them to melt easier.
Before pic of the mini marshmallows and cubed butter…
After pic of mini marshmallows and cubed butter…
I could eat the melted marshmallows and butter mixture by itself. 😉
I haven’t made Rice Krispies treats since I was about ten years old so making these made me feel like a kid again. I’ve forgotten how messy and sticky these are! Seriously, more sticky than you could possibly imagine. Never fear, have some cooking spray near and it won’t be quite as bad.
You definitely do have to work quickly once the marshmallow mixture is melted because it will harden up fast and make stirring everything very difficult (or potentially impossible). Spray some cooking spray on your hands before handling it, i.e. when you move the mixture from the bowl to the baking pan. If you don’t…let’s just say that you’re hands become like big magnets to the soft and warm Rice Krispie mixture. It’s a good way to make edible finger puppets though. 😉
Mmm, I’m lovin’ all this chocolaty goodness. Aren’t those mini M&Ms so cute?!
These are ideal to make on those really hot days when you want to make something sweet but don’t want to turn the oven on.
What else can I make with these mini M&Ms besides just eating them as a snack? 😉
Here are some of my other favorite bar cookies.