I can’t believe it’s Thanksgiving this week. Where did the year go? If you’re like me, you’re running around trying to get things ready around the house, whether you’re hosting or visiting for the holiday. My husband and I are going to my parents’ house for Thanksgiving day and to my husband’s mom’s house the day after. I’m in charge of bringing dessert so I’ve been baking my heart away this past weekend.
Since I’m short on time (more than usual) I needed to whip up dinner quickly and I wanted something that didn’t resemble turkey and trimmings (because I know I’ll be up to my eye balls with it later in the week). In the midst of pies and cookies, I whipped up this pasta covered in a creamy tomato sauce in 30 minutes. I even have leftover sauce to use for future quick meals.
Pasta With Tomato Cream Sauce Recipe
(About 8 servings)
- 1 and 1/2 pounds of mini shell pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounce each) tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the box.
- In a medium skillet, over Medium heat, heat the butter and oil.
- Add in the onions and garlic and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour in the tomato sauce.
- Season with the salt, pepper, and white sugar.
- Turn the heat down to Low/Simmer and cook for it for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pan from heat and stir in the heavy cream.
- Stir in the grated and shredded Parmesan cheeses. (* See note below)
- Stir in the pasta. (* See note below)
Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator.
* Note: The cheeses and sauce will soak into the pasta overnight. If you don’t think you’ll eat all of the pasta then I recommend adding the cheeses and sauce directly to your plate and store the leftover sauce in a separate jar in the refrigerator.
It’s kind of mandatory to have onion and garlic in Italian food and let me tell you, there is a lot of garlic going on here.
The sauce starts off a tad thin and red. It is a tomato sauce, after all. 😉 It will thicken up a bit as it cooks. Boy, my kitchen smells fabulous with all that simmering garlic! Don’t let the awesome aromas distract you from cooking the pasta at the same time. Without a little multitasking this won’t be as much of a time saving meal.
How cute is the shell pasta? Of course you don’t have to use it. This recipe is all about expediency so use whatever you have handy at home. Although I’d recommend using a pasta that has nooks and crannies so the creamy sauce has a place to hang out.
This pink sauce is a tomato based sauce and the heavy cream makes it rich. Its taste and texture is similar to a penne alla vodka sauce (minus the vodka of course).
I think the cheese takes the sauce from great to phenomenal. I used both grated and shredded Parmesan cheeses to enhance the flavor and texture. Plus I added a dollop of ricotta cheese on top of my dish to make it even more creamy. I love my fresh basil so I sprinkled some on top too. It’s not just for color and presentation points…it really adds great flavor to the dish.
This meal is super inexpensive. It’s definitely one of the cheapest meals I’ve made so far and I’m all for saving money!
For those of you who celebrate Thanksgiving in the US, what are your plans?
Adapted from: The Pioneer Woman
Here are some other quick meal ideas.