I’m obsessed with making smoothies. I’m actually starting to wear out my blender so I’ve been researching its replacement. Does anyone have any recommendations?
The more that I make smoothies the more that I realize I’m very picky with them. I don’t like it so thick that I can’t suck it through a straw, but I also don’t like it when it’s too thin so I feel like I’m just drinking flavored milk. I also don’t like to use ingredients that can turn into mush, like graham crackers or cookies, or ingredients that don’t break down easily like certain berry seeds or pomegranate pips. (I have texture issues. Please don’t judge me. 😉 ) Plus, I’m finicky about the combination of flavors. My taste buds can’t seem to comprehend a bitter vegetable and sweet fruit in one sip (maybe I just haven’t found the right combo yet). Needless to say it’s quite an achievement when I find a smoothie recipe that I really enjoy. This light and healthy berry smoothie made the cut and I’m excited to share it with you!
Blackberry Coconut Smoothie Recipe
- 1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 cup ice
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup fresh blackberries
- 1/2 frozen banana
- In a blender, add all of the ingredients and blend them until they are smooth.
- If you want it to look like a bull’s eye from the top of the cup, you just need to add the ingredients in a specific order. First, blend 1/4 cup of the vanilla Greek yogurt, ice and the shredded coconut and pour them into a glass. Rinse out the blender. Next, blend the remaining 1/4 cup of vanilla Greek yogurt, blackberries, and frozen banana. Finally, pour the blackberry layer gently into the glass.
How pretty is this drink? I love the illusion of two different smoothies in one glass. 🙂
The blackberries are the shining flavor here. You can switch it up and use almost any berry you like or have sitting around. Each berry option really makes an entirely different smoothie. It’s almost like you’re getting an infinite number of recipes today! I’ve been using vanilla flavored Greek yogurt (as opposed to plain) in my smoothies lately because I think it adds great flavor.
The shredded coconut is awesome! It’s a lovely compliment to most berry flavors and it adds a little sweetness.
The berry mixture is super thick and luscious thanks to the frozen banana. Since it’s only half of a banana, you barely even taste it. The coconut mixture is like a sweet icy milk. When you swirl everything together you have the perfect textured smoothie! (This is the alternative to the “bull’s eye approach.)
What’s your favorite smoothie flavor?
Adapted from: A Beautiful Mess
Here are some of my other favorite smoothies and light shakes.