I woke up this morning thinking that it was Thursday. What a cruel world it was when I realized that it was only Wednesday.
I should probably be enjoying these last few hot days of summer instead of wishing them away. Maybe it’s a bit too hot for me so I’d rather seek refuge in my air conditioned home. After all I’m safe there. It’s a place where I can be on the couch and cuddled under a light blanket. Wow, that makes me sound like a lazy schmuck. Don’t judge me. 😉
Anyway, hot days call for light meals or salads. Frankly, I’ve gotten sick of salads. Anyone else with me? Don’t get me wrong, I love salads but I’m just looking for a change (at least this week). That’s where this lovely chicken dish comes in.
I’m not easily impressed with chicken meals… they’re just not my thing. However, this one gets my seal of approval because it’s awesomely delicious. I know it’s a culinary taboo to describe a dish as “good,” “tasty,” or “delicious” because they’re not really describing it. But who wants to hear me go off about the assorted textures and flavors from the tender chicken, flavorful pasta, crunchy kale, soft tomatoes, and salty Parmesan cheese? 😉
The chicken is cooked in butter and oil. Mmm. Hello, what does’t taste good cooked in butter? Exactly, nothing. Don’t worry, the healthy kale will counteract the calories and fat from the butter and oil. I suppose this meal is kind of like a salad because it has tomatoes and a lettuce-like superfood in it. So much for me taking a break from salads.
Oh, did I mention that you can whip this up in less than 30 minutes? If you’re moving for the purpose it’s more like 20 minutes. Yes… more time for me to be lazy on the couch, er, I mean more time to do those chores and that workout and some other busy thing I should be doing but can’t immediately think of. 😉
Chicken Kale Pasta Recipe
(About 8 servings)
- 1 pound pasta (I used Penne pasta.)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 pound of boneless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 and 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 bunch of kale, torn into small pieces without the veins
- 2 cups of grape or cherry tomatoes
- sprinkling of shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook the pasta ala dente style according to the directions on the box. Drain it and then set it aside.
- In a large skillet, over Medium-High heat, heat the butter and oil.
- Add the chicken pieces in a single layer and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the chicken until it’s done and remove it from the skillet and set it aside.
- Reduce the heat to Medium add the minced garlic to the skillet and cook it for about 30 seconds.
- Pour the chicken broth into the skillet. Stir it around to deglaze the pan.
- Allow it to bubble up and continue cooking until it has reduced by at least half.
- Turn off the heat and add the kale, tomatoes, cooked pasta and chicken, and shredded Parmesan cheese. It’s okay to still have some of the broth visible at this point. It will soak into the chicken, kale, and pasta over time.
- Gently stir all of the ingredients together and season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
Adapted from: The Pioneer Woman
Here are some other spiffy quick recipes.