Happy New Year! It’s that time of the year when we list our resolutions. Some people resolve to eat healthier and others might work out more. Since I can’t really affect how much you work out with my blog, I wanted my first post of the year to be about a healthy recipe. In particular, I had this roasted red pepper pasta in mind as that first healthy post. My husband and I have discussed whether this pasta dish is actually “healthy.” Let’s just say that it’s better for you than a fully loaded lasagna which is frankly horrible for you (but it sure is good). The more I ponder the fat content and calories here, the more I realize that I’m simply sharing with you one of my favorite meals. That’s more important, right? 😉
Roasted Red Pepper Pasta Recipe
(About 8 servings)
- 12 ounces Rigatoni pasta
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jar (15.5 ounce) roasted red peppers, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the box.
- In a medium skillet, on Medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the diced onions and minced garlic and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until they start to soften.
- Add the chopped red peppers and cook the mixture for an additional 2 to 3 minutes, until it’s hot.
- Carefully transfer the mixture to a food processor and puree it until it’s mostly smooth (there should still be some texture).
- Pour the pureed mixture back into the skillet. Stir in the broth, and season with salt, pepper, and parsley.
- Gradually pour in the heavy cream and stir until it’s combined.
- Drain the pasta and add it into the skillet. (See Note below)
- Add the Parmesan cheese and stir it all together so that all the pasta is completely coated with the cheese and sauce.
- (Optional) Sprinkle fresh basil and additional Parmesan cheese on top.
* Note: The cheese and sauce will soak into the pasta overnight. If you don’t think you’ll eat all of the pasta then I recommend you store the sauce in a separate jar in the refrigerator adding the cheese and sauce directly to your plate when you are about to eat it.
This meal is super fast to make. It only takes about 20 minutes! Oh yeah! Most of the ingredients are only hanging out in the pan for a few minutes.
It’s like magic. The food processor has turned a few simple ingredients into a thick sauce. Wait, it gets better. 😉
As a side note, I’m prepping the pasta at the same time so that it’s ready as soon as the sauce is done. Since I’m going for expediency, my ability to multi-task is a good thing.
Once you add the heavy cream, it becomes a velvety sauce.
This pink sauce is not like a traditional tomato based sauce. It has a slight sweetness from the roasted red peppers. I picked my favorite jarred ones because they taste great. Plus, it’s a huge time saver. I even reused the jar that they came in to store some of the leftover sauce. If you’re inclined to roast the red peppers yourself, I have some great tips from when I roasted some for my Roasted Red Pepper Soup.
I’m in love with this pasta dish! Can someone really be “in love” with a meal? My husband literally drank some of this sauce straight from a jar because it’s just that awesome. (Sorry if that grossed you out, but it’s a great testament to how tasty this is). Seriously guys, this is some really good eats.
On new year’s eve my husband and I ate out at an Italian restaurant and I ordered Rigatoni with fennel and sausage in a red pepper sauce (which was absolutely delicious, by the way). This recipe is a vegetarian version and a reminder of our romantic meal out. 🙂
I’m not one to make new year’s resolutions because if I want to do something then I do it when the moment strikes. I don’t wait for January 1st to roll around in order to make a change. I’m always trying to lose a few pounds and the new year is just a good reminder to me. Do you have any resolutions?
Slightly adapted from: The Pioneer Woman
Here are some more tasty and quick pasta meals.