I’m in serious need of boot camp right now, guys!
I need to go shopping for a new bathing suit and the thought of trying one on (or in my case, a lot more than one) is frightening. Hello, winter weight gain. It’s not a shock because I’ve kept more junk food in the house than normal and I have no self control. (Not a great combo really.) I’ve stopped buying ice cream and cookies so that’s a good start, right?
Now let’s get something straight… I refuse to go the route of celery and carrots for dinner. Phew, I feel better for that confession. However I am buying more healthy foods, like kale. I’ll admit that I’m not the biggest fan of this green veggie (neither is my hubby) so I wasn’t sure what to expect when I whipped up this kale dish. However, we were pleasantly surprised how delicious it was. Kale is very tasty when you dress it up with some of your favorite foods. 🙂
With a few healthy ingredients, this dish packs a lot of flavor and it’s filling. Don’t skimp out on the feta cheese because the tang and creaminess add a lot to the dish. If you’re not a fan of feta, then consider goat cheese or even ricotta instead. (Ricotta isn’t going to add salty deliciousness to the party, but the creaminess will work here.)
Let’s review my missions. Eat healthier… delicious kale dish… check. Don’t be horrified about the marathon bathing suit trials I’m heading for… working on it.
Are you ready for bathing suit season? If yes, I’m jealous! For my readers who live in warmer temperatures right now and are heading into winter, what were some of your favorite light summer dishes?
Kale with Veggies Recipe
(about 4 servings)
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- a big bunch of kale , stems removed and leaves sliced (You really can’t go wrong with how much you use.)
- 2 carrots, julienned
- about 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- zest from 1/2 lemon
- juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- Cook the brown rice according to the directions on the box.
- In a large skillet, over Medium heat, add the kale, shredded carrots, chopped onion, water, salt, pepper, and lemon zest, and mix everything together.
- Cover the skillet with a lid and cook for about 10 minutes or until the kale has wilted.
- Add in the lemon juice.
- Remove the lid and cook for another few minutes, until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove from the heat and spoon the veggies over the brown rice.
- Sprinkle the crumbled feta cheese and slivered almonds on top of the dish.
Adapted from: Whole Foods Market
Here are some other delicious healthy eats.